Search This Blog

Monday, February 02, 2009

Takin' Care of Bizness
















The Lady Huskies defeated rival Deer River tonight by the score of 57-35. If it weren't for a freshman's half court shot (which I missed!) they would have ended up with 32. I was putting my camera away when she hit it...I wish I would have seen it because I haven't seen one of those in a long time. You have to be happy for anyone that gets one of those and the crowd loves it too! The score at the half was 29-16. Scoring tonight was Shelby with 24, Andi with 11, Megan with 8, Lise with 7, Kate with 3, and Theresa and Robin with 2 each.

Anyway, it was a packed house and we had three refs tonight instead of the normal two. We were a little worried when we saw that one of the refs used to be their Athletic Director and has a daugther on the team (the one that hit the half court shot no less). But things went okay and the fouls were pretty even....of course there is always one or two calls that you have to yell about, but I think that is normal.

I got to visit with Lulu Seelye's mom who has one daughter left playing, Jodie. They are some of the nicest people and fun to visit with. Shelby played AAU ball with Lulu and Allie and made fast friends with them and we had the opportunity to ride share and room share with them so we got to know each other found out that rivals can be friends! That is one of the things that I loved about AAU ball....all of the new friends you make from all over the state.

As you can see by a few of the pictures, I did have my camera out when Erzar hit the half court shot and you can see on the last picture that Coach Powell wasn't looking and the bench was happy for her too! Also the one call that I didn't like last night shows in the picture where #11 Peterson ran to intercept a pass and slammed into Shelby...there was no call. Megan had done the same thing earlier and received a foul for her troubles...I also like the picture of Shelby with her tongue out at the free throw line in serious concentration, no doubt. And I love the one of Lise under the basket with that determined expression on her face, yet again.

Sorry, but another favorite is at the end of the game when the starters are on the bench and congratulating each other for their game and Coach Powell is talking to Shelby on the right of the picture. These little moments that are caught on camera and frozen in time are what inspire me as this team inspires me and many, many others. They are a joy to watch and after each game, you just can't wait to get to the next one.....if you have not seen them play, you are missing out.

No comments: