Search This Blog

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Athletic Awards Photos





Just a few pictures from the Athletic Awards the other night. Megan received a ball for her 1,000 point and her 1,000 rebound. She made her 1,000 point the first game of the season and then reached 1,000 rebounds at the State tournament. That is quite impressive, both achieved during her junior year! Megan also was presented with her the 1,000 point club board that will be joining the others in the gymnasium.

There is a picture of the Senior athletes receiving their plaques. Missing was Sarah Rooks, Britney Stewart, Jared Anselmo and Michael Sheppard. Shelby and Justin both ended up with 13 letters each although Shelby was missing one year from volleyball, her ninth grade year, so I don't know what was up with that or if they just missed it.

Another picture is of the five girls receiving their Northern Lakes All Conference plaques and certificates. That was another first as Bigfork had five girls receive the honor this year, Theresa Stewart, Shelby Goble, Adrianna Ivanovic, Annalise Klamm and Megan Powell.

Finally, I took a picture of Shelby with Coach Powell and her "finished" board that will be put back up in the gym. She received the board last year with the final total. She did end up being the second highest scorer in Bigfork...so far. Mason claimed that title for a few years and it will be fun to see if his sister Megan will be able to claim that title back in the Powell family! You just never know what will happen!

Megan received the award for Most Assists, Lise for Most Steals, Andi for Most Rebounds, Shelby for Best Free Throw Percent and Lise for Most Improved. Greg has never given an award for the most points in a season. You can see how they worked as a team by the awards they were given. He mentioned that between everyone on team there were 500+ assists. (I can't remember the number he said but it was impressive)

He also mentioned that Shelby was picked as an All State selection for Class A teams in the State of Minnesota and that the Coaches Association picks 12 girls out of over 900 girls that are on Class A teams in the state, so she was in the top 2%! That was interesting to know....I knew it was a big honor and that really puts it into perspective.

It was a long night as the ceremony went for about 2 1/2 hours, but it was very nice. I didn't have my slideshow done and there were a few disappointed people, but they would have been there another hour if I had it done, so probably a good thing! I still plan on doing one and we will just get together one evening at the school and watch the show...then it can be as long as I want it to be!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie
I have enjoyed this blog alot
and thank you for all your hard
work. It has been a good way to
stay in touch with the team.
THANK YOU!
Rick Lindgren
Megan Powells (Uncle)

jag said...

Thank you....these girls are very special and I can't tell you how much I am going to miss watching them play together. It still hasn't hit me yet...once I get the slideshow done it will hit me hard I'm sure...thanks again.

Anonymous said...

I was a little disappointed in coach. It wasn't very nice that he talked about four of the five starters. It's ok though because this just gives Theresa the motivation to prove herself next year. I think that everyone should be recognized, not just the ones that made double digit points. I feel that Theresa helped all of the girls make those points. Sorry I'm just a little upset.

jag said...

Yes, she was a major contributor to the team this year! I was happy to see that she was honored with All Conference honors as that is a huge honor. She has another season yet to play and I'm sure will step up as a senior and play her heart out so that they can go as far as they did last year! I wish ALL of them the best! I know it's hard to see them talk about the "four" girls so much, but there is ALOT of history there...and many, many hours and years of basketball together. It would have been great if Theresa hadn't moved away and had been here with them for all of those years! WOW....